GAT in the Pacific Northwest

Friday, July 26, 2013

Chick Magnet

Judy has gone to work at the Literacy Council, and I am taking Corki for a walk over at Lake Padden.   It's about 10 a.m., temperature in the mid-70s, and Corki is happy as a dog could be. Algae is beginning to take over this shallow end of the lake and I can see a number of waterfowl swimming in among the growth of plants that are becoming visible on the surface. On the shore a woman is tossing  a large stick out into the water for her dog to retrieve and I notice the Mallard ducks and Canadian Geese seem to ignore the dog.  Among the Mallards is a hen with ducklings that are about a quarter grown; I count five ducklings bobbing in the water as they trail along behind her.
 
A couple of teenagers are sunbathing close to the path I'm on and Corki wants to sniff their feet but I pull her up towards the path. Farther along the bank I see an older guy(my age) sitting on a canvas stool with a fishing pole set in an upright position. I wonder if he has his line out beyond the algae growth. 
 
It's a nice pleasant day on Lake Padden and everyone is happy and comfortable and then I see the eagle.  The eagle is cruising in at about tree-top level right above the ducks, geese, sunbathers, fisherman and Corki and I. Then the eagle's wings come in against his body and he drops like a bullet and then the wings are extended and one leg goes out and grabs one of the ducklings and he begins beating his wings as he heads across the lake. 
 
Now there are only four little ducks on the lake.
 
The teen age boy  raises up off the blanket and says, "Holy shit! Did you see that?"  His girlfriend didn't see the activity, doesn't seem all that interested and continues to lay on the blanket.  Down by the shoreline the woman with the dog is standing with the stick in her hand and seems a little awe-struck by what just transpired in front of her.  I am surprised that the eagle would grab prey with so many people nearby. But it was very quick and probably took less than 30 seconds.
 
Judy and I have noticed that the ducks on Lake Padden will start out with a brood of about 7 or 9 ducklings but then when we see them later, close to maturity, there will only be 2 or 3 ducks left. Life is rough for a ducky.
 
Corki and I continue on around the lake.  I'm wondering if it's going to be a one-pooper, a two-pooper or maybe even a three-pooper walk.  I judge her walks by how many poops she takes; it's not a successful walk unless she poops.  Of course that's why it is critical to have at least three poop-bags.  When Judy is along she will quite often cheat by scooting the poop off into the brush.
 
As I walk along I notice that when I meet women they will look at Corki, smile and then nod at me.  This is quite different than when I walk alone in the park. Quite often I have noticed that many women will move over on the opposite side of the path and clutch their cell phones as if they are about to dial 911.  I have tried smiling and saying hello but this only results in them turning around and running in the opposite direction.
 
On this walk I meet three women and all of them smile and start asking about Corki.  They always comment on how cute she is and want to know her breed.  As I explain to  them that she is 7 years old and is part Corgi, none of the women dial 911.
 
It is obvious that the dog is a "chick-magnet."
 
Also, I have been wondering how to supplement my retirement income and perhaps Corki is the answer.  I could rent her out as a guaranteed "chick-magnet."  Of course I would have to figure how much to charge per hour and what would be the normal time frame for her to be rented out.  If the enterprise was successful, maybe I could start a franchise and go nationwide.
 
I'll see what Judy thinks.

No comments: